View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mo's Battle Reports 

Placeholder as I write this up, might be a day or two but I just had a helluva lot of fun. I don't take notes so don't expect anything overly in depth, just my alcohol fueled recollections.
Alright, lets get to this! Note, as we were running a beer and pretzels sort of fight after work we used Power Points to keep things simple.

NOTE! I just noticed from the photos that my tracking of when people died and how many died, and such isn't always accurate. Sorry, but not sorry.

I was running my odd little army I have, which consisted of
Straken
Harker
Lord Commissar
x2 Vet squads, one with flamers, one with plasma
x2 Chimera, ML, HB, HS, HK
Hellhound
Tempestus Prime
x2 Scions, one with melta, one with plasma
x2 Sternguard, HB and plasma
Sisters of Silence Vigilators
Eversor Assassin

My friend was running
Assault Chaplain
Assault Marines
Tactical Marines, Combat squaded
x2 Razorbacks, las
Scout Squad
Scout Landspeeder
x2 Landspeeders
The missiled up Landspeeder
Storm bird thingy

There was also an environmental hazard as thirty zombie cultists poured out of the chapel ten at a time. This didn't go great for my opponent.

The objective was to hold the chapel (be in base contact) at the end of 6 turns without being in combat.
The story is that an agriworld suffered a small rebellion, elements of a space marine chapter (my opponent) were sent to quell. All communication was lost. Lacking sufficient forces in range a rogue trader, with attached company of the Marines Incandescent, was directed to investigate and quell the uprising if still in effect. The planet had been ravaged, most of the population was unaccounted for, but the marine forces were still on the surface. Unable to contact them or locate their fleet, the rogue trader dispatched his military forces. They landed near the ruins of an administration complex, the main building and monument were destroyed, but the temple still stood...

I won the roll.
My Assassin and Stormies were set up for deep striking.
My Veterans were deployed in Chimeras with Straken, Harker, and the Lord Commissar in formation with the Hellhound.
My Sternguard and Sisters of Silence deployed on foot.

First turn my forces moved up, my vehicles took a few potshots at a razorback for a couple of wounds. Very uneventful
His Razorbacks, Missile Landspeeder, and Scout Landspeeder focus fired my Hellhound, taking off five wounds, his storm bird thingy blasted across the board and started laying into my Sternguard, tearing a massive hole through them with the help of his other Landspeeders.

Second turn I dropped my Assassin and Stormies. They Assassin didn't do much but the Stormies blew the birdy out of the sky with their meltas in what must of been the luckiest rolling I have ever accomplished, with the help of the surviving Sternguard. My Hellhound melted the Scout Landspeeder, and my Chimeras did their best to put wounds onto the Missile Landspeeder and the Razorbacks. My assassin failed to charge.
My opponent dropped off his Tacs, brought in his Assaults and Chaplain, flew his Missile Landspeeder behind my Assassin, and parked his Razorback in front of my Hellhound. His shooting phase didn't go great, my Stormies only lost a couple in one squad, though a lot in the other, my Hellhound got a little more dented, my Sternguard took ungodly amounts of ammunition to the face and kept standing he shot the hell out of my assassin, and the cultists popped out and decided to run at one of his tac squads. He then charged a Chimera with his scouts. I don't remember if the Assaults charged my Stormies now or next turn.

Third Turn I disembarked my Vets, retreated my Chim, and moved the other Chim around the ruin, my sisters of silence advanced on the temple. The Sternguard fired at the Landspeeders but they decided that HB shells weren't gonna work today, orders were given, the Stormies in combat got an extra attack in which did surprising amounts of damage to the Assaults, the scouts were destroyed by flamers, and the other stormies chewed up a few marines with their reduced fire. The hell hound's last shot managed to take out the Razorback in front of it, which failed to explode. My stormies made their regular attack and again took out a couple Assaults, but receive crippling damage back, but the Sarge stood.
His third turn led to the death of my Assassin and my Hellhound, the Stormy Sarge kept standing from the Assault attacks.

Fourth Turn my flamer vets got the order for the special extra move and took the Temple as the next batch of cultists decided that my Sisters needed some fun, my other vets got the order to shoot after moving which, with the help of Harker removed the Tac marines from the rocky terrain. My stormies chewed up the other Tac Squad, my surviving Stormy Sarge killed another Tac Marine without dieing, and most of the rest of my shooting failed.
My opponent called it at this point, as I had only lost a single unit of Sternguard, a Hellhound, and an Assassin, with only a couple reduced units of Stormies and Sternguard. While he had suffered rather massive casualties from how OP First Rank, Second Rank can be with Hot-Shots. He felt bad about having the Stormbird thing up until I started melting units, and it.

So, with the retreat of the marine forces the rather confused rogue trader forces torched the temple and cultists. They reported the events with the marines as a friendly fire incident, and that the world was now devoid of population. The rogue trader promptly claimed it and began re-colonization.

Turn 2 -

Turn 3 -

Turn 4 + End

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 am

Alright, all set!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Admin

Wow! I've been seeing that kind of victory all over youtube, but most of those guard victories over marines involve either conscripts or super heavies, or even both. Your use of those stormies was quite ingenuous!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Yeah, I admit I didn't go in expecting to decimate the enemy by turn 4 due to seeing the same thing. I also admit that my opponent underestimated me and made more than a couple bad moves due to that, as well has rolling atrociously. I also rolled insanely well, the meltas were three groups of boxcars. But seriously, we don't even need to rely on cheese to win, we can but we don't HAVE to. I love it!

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 am

Oh snap, a guard list that doesn't run 500 expendable infantry soldiers with commissars is viable against marines? 40K really has changed since I last played. :D

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:10 am

I think it's the first time I see Mo post any kind of real life pictures! That, my friend, is the most perfect boom box to play warhammer with...

Awesome batrep!

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:30 am
Site Admin

Agreed on the boom box, and welcome back, Sebby! Ult, the game changed a LOT! Now even lasguns kill Marines!

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 pm

.... I'm not sure I believe you Insanemachina.... I'll have to do my own run. :D (as soon as I get an actual army list written up and find an opponent. :P )

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:05 am

Great write up Mo, good to see Mechanized Guard getting a win. Did you find the higher points cost for vehicles difficult to manage in your list building?

Ultstadt wrote:
.... I'm not sure I believe you Insanemachina.... I'll have to do my own run. :D (as soon as I get an actual army list written up and find an opponent. :P )

Oh, its true, and glorious!! My conscripts managed to kill a damaged rhino on overwatch that had declared a charge, and Magnus also fell to massed lasgun fire (well a lasgun did kill him.....he may have been wounded from the dozen or so meltagun shots)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Cuthbo wrote:

Oh, its true, and glorious!! My conscripts managed to kill a damaged rhino on overwatch that had declared a charge, and Magnus also fell to massed lasgun fire (well a lasgun did kill him.....he may have been wounded from the dozen or so meltagun shots)

That is amazing :lol:

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next