View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Infantry Rifle Platoon template. 

G'day all.

So back in 7th I decided that no matter the opponent/mission/scenario, as long as the points cost was above 1000 points, I would use the same list. Partly it was for fluff reasons, as my regiment is line infantry, the other reason was to improve the skills with my army, taking on any list no matter how one sided.

13th Terrakan Urban Assault Infantry Regiment, rifle platoon template.
Battleforged (+3 CP), Battalion Detachment (+3 CP)

HQ: 2

Company commander
-Boltgun, chainsword
Company commander
-Boltgun, chainsword

ELITES: 6

Command squad
-4x plasmagun
Command squad
-3x meltagun, 1x heavy flamer
Commissar
-Bolt pistol, chainsword
Ministorum priest
-Chainsword, laspistol
Special weapons squad
-2x flamer, 1x grenade launcher
Special weapons squad
-2x meltagun, 1x plasmagun

TROOPS: 6

5x Infantry squads
-Boltgun, meltagun, missile launcher
Conscript squad
-30x conscripts

HEAVY SUPPORT: 3

Heavy weapons squad
-3x mortars
Heavy weapons squad
-3x missile launchers
Heavy weapons squad
-3x heavy bolters

FAST ATTACK: 1

Armoured sentinel
-multilaser, sentinel chainsaw

TOTAL POINTS: 997
MODEL COUNT: 123
COMMAND POINTS: 6

So gang, what say you?
Cheers, Cuthbo

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:25 pm

That would make one huge, beautiful army! All I can really say, is that so far I have been mildly disappointed using missile and grenade launchers as well as mortars. I mostly fight marines though so that isn't actually saying much.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:38 am

MoTheGreat wrote:
That would make one huge, beautiful army! All I can really say is that so far I have been mildly disappointed using missile and grenade launchers as well as mortars. I mostly fight marines though so that isn't actually saying much.

The sight of all those men can be a real psychological hit to my opponents as I usually outnumber them 3:1 or more. It can give me an advantage straight from the get go. My biggest hurdle has always been the speed at which my force can react to threats, but with the new move, move, move! order that disadvantage has reduced quite a bit.

With the increase in points on the missile launcher, I am a little sceptical on whether I should keep them or swap them out for heavy bolters, but the fluff of my regiment supports the use of missile launchers more. Though in my last battle the ability to both attack high toughness units as well as add multiple hits to large infantry units did pay off. Mortars I have always liked and they have performed well for me in nearly every game I have included them in. with their reduction in points, they are even more useful and the removal of guess range means you can target those hard to reach units even more effectively than before. The grenade launcher is more of a fluff choice as I have the special weapons teams modeled as combat engineers, the melta/plasma team is the breaching unit, and the flamer/grenade team is the clearance unit.

Cheers, Cuthbo

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:35 am

So I was thinking, as I form my own army list, if you were able to shave enough points off of one unit or other to have enough saved to allow you to buy a third HQ unit, you'd be able to split them in to a battalion and a vanguard detachment and work in an extra CP for your total army.

so, if you were trying to afford another HQ unit, there's a couple options. split the heavy bolter heavy support unit in to the other two squads? as far as I can tell you can split the shots of any one unit up among multiple targets. Doing so would give you 1 heavy support swuad with 2 mortars and a heavy bolter for unit defense, and 1 heavy support unit with missile launchers and heavy bolters for unit defense. Essentially you'd lose one heavy weapon each, and get an extra company commander. Could even afford to throw him a power maul/axe and still stay under 1000.

similarly you could lower the number of men in your conscript squad, though that would give you way more points for the HQ unit. Maybe an HQ from a different branch that has a little more personal stopping power?

I mean those option all depend on whether you value CP over army make up, but I figured you were close enough that I'd mention it in case you had missed the option.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 am

Ultstadt wrote:
So I was thinking, as I form my own army list, if you were able to shave enough points off of one unit or other to have enough saved to allow you to buy a third HQ unit, you'd be able to split them in to a battalion and a vanguard detachment and work in an extra CP for your total army.

so, if you were trying to afford another HQ unit, there's a couple options. split the heavy bolter heavy support unit in to the other two squads? as far as I can tell you can split the shots of any one unit up among multiple targets. Doing so would give you 1 heavy support swuad with 2 mortars and a heavy bolter for unit defense, and 1 heavy support unit with missile launchers and heavy bolters for unit defense. Essentially you'd lose one heavy weapon each, and get an extra company commander. Could even afford to throw him a power maul/axe and still stay under 1000.

similarly you could lower the number of men in your conscript squad, though that would give you way more points for the HQ unit. Maybe an HQ from a different branch that has a little more personal stopping power?

I mean those option all depend on whether you value CP over army make up, but I figured you were close enough that I'd mention it in case you had missed the option.

Thanks for the thoughts Ultstadt. This platoon was pretty much just a port from my 7th edition version. with our now cheaper points cost my 1000 point list dropped to just over 800, so with those points I added the second commander and command squad along with the armoured sentinel.

I was thinking about splitting up some units to build a second detachment but (as you will find out later) I have built this list with the intention of it being a building block for larger battles. I am also building 500 point detachments to add to this list depending on my opponent and points limit (currently have Storm trooper and rough rider lists) and so I want to keep this build as a single detachment.

I may just still be stuck in the old editions but I just can't get on board the mixed weapon train, I just feel that multiple of the same weapon just work well together, massed fire is the key. Now I may waste a few shots here or there on overkilling a unit, but my tactics have always revolved around picking a unit that I find is the most dangerous, and then focusing on it until it is dead, then moving on to the next unit etc, etc. And so I don't think I would use mixed weapons squads to their full potential. It may be something I try down the track though as I am building a heavy weapons support platoon to be the firebase for my two rifle platoons.

Cheers, Cuthbo

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd say stay with missile launchers - not only are they more versatile than heavy bolters, they're also Your only viable long-range antivehicle means.

I would, hovewer, wonder on priest and bolters - that's about an infantry squad's worth of points either without good place to put it (the only thing in the list that looks like it would get charged/charge to tarpit someone is conscript squad, but the reroll on 5+ is kind of irrelevant for their task), or, as a sprinkle of S4 weapons doesn't actually affect the game.
Then again I take it those are for fluff purposes, and battalion template doesn't exactly allow 7th Troop choice.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Makoto wrote:
I'd say stay with missile launchers - not only are they more versatile than heavy bolters, they're also Your only viable long-range anti-vehicle means.

I would, however, wonder on priest and bolters - that's about an infantry squad's worth of points either without good place to put it (the only thing in the list that looks like it would get charged/charge to tarpit someone is conscript squad, but the reroll on 5+ is kind of irrelevant for their task), or, as a sprinkle of S4 weapons doesn't actually affect the game.
Then again I take it those are for fluff purposes, and battalion template doesn't exactly allow 7th Troop choice.

Priests in 8th actually increase the attacks characteristic of all friendly <Astra Militarum> units by 1. Turning your gun line into quite the prickly obstacle, especially paired with the Get back in the fight! and Fix bayonets! orders. The bolters are because I wanted my squad leaders to carry rifles, though with the changes to pistols I may switch back to pistols.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Quote:
Priests in 8th actually increase the attacks characteristic of all friendly <Astra Militarum> units by 1.

Right, my bad. Still doesn't change anything, as it'd be best utilised on dedicated assault unit, and the closest thing we have to one is Rough Riders. On conscripts it still means 5+.

Since units can only be affected by a single order per turn, it prevents the disengage-Get back-Fix bayonets combo.

And in any case imo it'd be better to issue another Get back in a fight! (if unit disengaged from melee), or (if it hasn't) either Rank Fire or Take aim instead of Fix bayonets, as, even with priest's bonus A, bayonet does the same as non-ordered lasgun, while getting into melee means reducing special and heavy weapons to bayonets.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Makoto wrote:

Right, my bad. Still doesn't change anything, as it'd be best utilised on dedicated assault unit, and the closest thing we have to one is Rough Riders. On conscripts it still means 5+.

True a conscript is only 5+, but when that conscript and his 20-50 mates are charged they get to throw out 40-100 5+ attacks, and that can really change things. A standard 10 man infantry squad has 12 attacks (sergeant 2A plus a chainsword) couple this with a priest and now that squad has 23 attacks hitting on 4+. Now this may pale in comparison to dedicated assault units (Khorne bezerkers, genestealers, etc) but still packs quite a punch. Now a priests ability has a 6" area of effect, which means enemy units that try and multicharge or consilidate into other squads are just increasing the attacks they have to survive by double.

Quote:
Since units can only be affected by a single order per turn, it prevents the disengage-Get back-Fix bayonets combo.

Very true, but both orders are situational, get back in the fight is mainly for holding/ defensive tactics where you either need to hold a spot or slow and enemies advance. Fix bayonets! is for attacking when you are already in combat (as it can only be issued to units that are within 1" of an enemy aka. Locked in combat) and is more advantageous to stay that way. fix bayonets gives us an equal number of attacks as rapid fire (albeit split into two phases) and combined with a priest turns our melee output into the equivalent of First rank fire, second rank fire! ( again split into two phases)

Quote:
And in any case imo it'd be better to issue another Get back in a fight! (if unit disengaged from melee), or (if it hasn't) either Rank Fire or Take aim instead of Fix bayonets, as, even with priest's bonus A, bayonet does the same as non-ordered lasgun, while getting into melee means reducing special and heavy weapons to bayonets.

I agree, 9 times out of 10 I would rather disengage and then order Get back in the fight! but there are times when you wont be able to becuase:
(A) You are locked in combat with a unit that stops you from disengaging. (e.g. dark elder wyches)
(B) You dont have the room to disengage due to terrain or friendly/enemy units.
(C) Disengaging leaves more valuable/vulnerable units open to being charged.
(D) Disengaging means you loose control of an objective.
And I'm sure there are plenty more situations.

Another important part of increasing your close combat potential is the fact that 1st turn charges are a major part of the game now. As guard commanders there is little we can do to avoid or cancel the alpha strike, but we can make it a more difficult and dangerous proposition. And the force multiplying effect the priest has in this reguard is huge for his points cost.

Cheers, Cuthbo

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am

All true, and indeed situational.

Still, again, special and heavy weapons trump bayonets, and as far as units disabling the disengage go, there's still the tried and true tactic of making sure own unit is lost on the phase it's charged, thus clearing way for other units to fire.

Besides, with the ridiculous amount of HQ units that's required for most detachments, we get enough orders to throw Rank fire on everyone and their grox every turn, thus getting 4 shooting instead of 2 melee attacks in short range out of every lasgun.

Still, in the end it's a matter of both personal preference and regimental fluff :)

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next