View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
ZeDarkPhotoDump 

Lets get us some content!

I know a lot of these basically had been already on the old boot forums, and while I still don't have a decent camera set up, organizing them all as well as working on entertaining the idea of a lot of major reworking made me think on simply retaking and taking pictures of everything I've gotten together since!

As they're all being reorganized I'll be separating everything by (technical) Army. I might use the other parts of the forum for everything else that is either not guard or not warhammer as I've gotten a decent chunk of that floating about.

But before all that, have this!
This was a decade ago now, and I managed to save it before photobucket decided to go stupid mode, but always amusing to see where we begin, not quite the first even, but still!

++VALTARIAN 422ND IRON LEGION++
Tentatively named the Mythril Mastiffs, a lot of these are refining of my older infantry. Part of my reorganization involved ditching the individual squad-based numbers that I had been using before with the change of 8th Edition I'm somewhat uncertain how I want to proceed as honestly I would almost prefer to wait for the actual codex to release before making any major changes to the sort of units I want to sort and have regularly available.

For now, the 422nd Iron Legion will be using the rules for the Death Korps of Krieg. A regiment of the Iron Legion focusing heavily on close assault and actually having a set of characters that wear carapace and give orders. Alongside this, I imagine squads of Nyokan Abhumans would likely be under command of human officers if I ever get around to setting that up...

Starting with the command staff alongside Creed and Kell, I'm still uncertain as to why I painted Kell in Valtarian colors and Creed in standard Cadian, but whatever.

Valtarian support in the form of a pair of flanking Priests (Formerly ran as bodyguards back when those existed.) A guardsman formerly known as Marbo (Or Gunnery Sergeant Aina Rhodes on the left) I imagine I'll be using her as a platoon officer in the future. A rare Valtarian Astropath, and Master of Ordanance Lt. Swaine

Shotgun-wielding combat engineer team formerly taken alongside a Hades Breaching Drill. The problem of course lying with the lack of Demolitions for now.

The core of Fireteam Alphus, one of my latest parts but I honestly think I need to bring down their coats as they are, well, a quite bit more vibrant than their comrades... Most of these fireteam cores are going to consist of eight models in order to make special weapons more capable of switching out on the fly.

Fireteam Brutus, lacking a Sergeant for now on occasion.

Fireteam Caliban, also lacking a Sergeant.

Formerly Sergeants of the three available squads, perhaps to fill the role of Field Officers where necessary. I used to equip my sergeants with boltguns in my own way of getting around the lack of sergeants' inability to take a normal weapon. Of course, this isn't an issue in the DKoK List as their Sarges can take Lasguns and HS Lasguns as they see fit.

Special Weapons! I'm making these in loose collections to be distributed as needed, given a generic red stripe under their regimental number, they can now blend right in!

Ever important for any army though now the bearer of this Campaign Standard is mildly obsolete, honestly it's still just cool to have.

The Veterans. As much as these guys are fun to keep around, They're sorely due for an overhaul in the near future.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:13 am

I am geeking out about so much of this. Specifically:
1) the candle on the back of the third sgt. Very cool!
2) the detail on the barrels of the flamers and plasma guns. I've always loved that glow from some plasma gun models, and the burnt barrels on the flamers are very nice.
3) Is that banner hand painted? because if so, wow.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am
Site Admin

A very impressive way to inaugurate this section of the forums, thank you a lot, sir!
I agree with Ult, those little details are genious! Also that bird on the arm of that officer!!!

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you! As for the candle, admittedly that is from my utilization of fantasy dwarf bits to help accent my troops, I believe from the miners?

The banner is hand painted! I was super proud of it, such that it was a bit of a center-piece for my Armies on Parade board last year, at least, as well as a small guy with a flag can be.

I figured since no one else had taken to putting anything up...

A tiny collection of Steel Legion, probably one of my favorite guard regiments. I actually have two squads but I keep forgetting to base the other squad. And drill that Heavy Bolter barrel... I don't use these guys that often.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Awesome Dark, just awesome!

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:12 am

Those Steel legion are MUCH better than mine. When I was buying guard units I was buying whatever I could get cheapest, and trying to build an army of 100+ models, so I have two squads of steel legion, one of valhallans, one of catachans, and two or three of cadians. All painted with relativley "meh" skill. (I had moved on to orks by the time I was good enough to be worth mentioning. :P ) Maybe I'll post some ork model pics up in a bit, but those steel legion are pretty damn fine. That Yarrick is great as well.

I never drilled out my heavies. I just painted poorly drawn black circles on the end of their barrels. :D

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 am

Fantastic group of pics mate!

It's always good to look back at where you started painting and see the change, I know my first models were much the same as your own.....though I don't think you could see any detail at all, just a blob of mashed colours.

your army has a fantastic level of detail and uniqueness, and that banner is bloody fantastic!!

Steel Legion squad is also awesome, I was really sad when they and the Vostroyans were discontinued, they are great minis.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers, Cuthbo

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:11 pm

That is a good looking army for sure. Like you, I find myself trying to find new missions for my two former bodyguard models, apparently.

Is it all infantry or do you have any armor/artillery?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]