View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I'm not sure I get this 

So i finally got far enough into the 8thEd rule book that some of the stuff in the index starts to make sense (or not), and when i added everything up using the new books it came to over 4500 points and something well over 200 power points. Can you please reality check me?

Does the cost of a tank commander/Pask include the cost of their tank or not? Because if not Pask is staggeringly expensive, isn't he?

We need to pay for every piece of wargear for every unit, right?

Do we no longer have searchlights?

I need to have every unit I bring in a detachment, right? Even if it's just the very last entry where it calls them reserves or something like that and they cost a command point rather than granting one?

Is it just me or have a staggering percentage of what used to be Troops now become Elites and HS? My old Troops-heavy list now has me wondering if I can fit it all into a decent force-org chart.

Are people using power points now to play a pick-up game more than regular points?

Thanks, guys.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm
Site Admin

1 - Pask/Tank Commander includes the tank as described and I believe that's base cost without the Battle cannon and Heavy bolter or any upgrades/swaps you might want, just like any Leman Russ...
2 - Right
3 - Nope, not anymore, maybe in advanced rules later on the Codex
4 - Yeah, you can take multiple detachments but every unit must be inside one.
5 - Yes, now troops are just the very basic cannon fodder and we no longer have penal legions, Veterans became Elites etc.
6 - It depends on the meta game on your area, power points are mostly for casual gaming, you just quickly throw a list together and go with it. Some like it, some don't.

Hope to have been useful

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks. Very helpful. I guess I'd better start figuring out the whole detachment thing.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Battlescribe is your friend....

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:22 pm

So using the models I already have (not counting two infantry heavy flamers I need to scrape up someplace), I put everything into detachments. I wound up with the following:

Supreme Command
Battalion
Vanguard

That comes in about 4025 points or so, 229 power points and six command points. Does that seem about right with what you guys are finding? I struggled with so many of my former Troops now being Elites.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:58 pm

It's... possible. Hard to say without a list of what unit goes into which detachment, but it's possible, those three are still quite a few unit slots.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 am

My biggest problem is that I find is I only have three troops now and that counts my old penal squad (so no special or heavy weaps). Alll of my other squads are configured as vets or command and are elites now, or HS for my heavy weaps sqd. That really hurt me as I always prided myself on having a very Troops-heavy army.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 pm
Site Admin

It seems like you'll find yourself buying and assembling quite a lasgun totting guardsman in the near future then...

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

But... unless we're talking some really extreme model modifications vets and command squad vets can be easily used as normal infantry squads.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 am

Makoto wrote:
But... unless we're talking some really extreme model modifications vets and command squad vets can be easily used as normal infantry squads.

The basic grunts, yes, but not the special and heavy weapons loads unless I cannibalize for bodies. That's what I'm trying to avoid but it may come to that, like it or not.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next