View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Company commander vs. Platoon commander 

So reviewing these 2 choices we have the following:

Company commander:
HQ choice (which is light on real choices)
30 points
2 commands a turn

Vs

Platoon commander
Saves you 10 pts
Takes up an elite slot (which has some hefty competition)
Only 1 order.

Does anyone really use the platoon commander, elites are better utilized (in my army) by commissars, officers of the fleet, and masters of Ordinance.

Is it really a choice?

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Honestly I have no idea actually, I have just always taken the Company commander. Weird. Guess my subconscious agrees with you.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:28 am

With the ridiculous amount of compulsory HQ choices, there's usually at least a Company Commander per two eligible squads, so it's incredibly easy to keep pretty much entire infantry under constant orders.
Thus imo there's no point other than pure fluff to consider utility of Platoon Commander, his main role (providing leadership) already performed by a compulsory choice.

Plus, as comrade Comrade pointed out, there are basically only better Elite choices.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 pm

I was having pretty much this same thought.. I kind of wish they had stuck with the old Junior Officer/Senior Officer thing.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm

I just spent about 40 minutes writing out a treatise on all the edge cases in which Platoon Commanders are technically more efficient than company commanders and Boot Camp logged me out due to inactivity resulting in a loss of my post.

:evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

So here's the jist of what I'd said:

-Platoon Commanders are surprisingly effective combat characters compared to previous editions. They are also eligible to be given heirlooms of conquest (as these don't have to go on a Warlord)

-A PC with the tactical genius dagger can outflank a squad of conscripts (possible their only use since Chapter Approved 2017 nerfed them to 4 points) and you can MOVE MOVE MOVE onto a deployment zone objective in the 11th hour of a game. You save 10 points doing this with a PC rather than CC.

-A Vostroyan PC with Armor of Graf Toschenko, plasma pistol, and your choice of power weapon clocks in at 29pts. He can join 3 Ogryns (which are great in 8ed) in a Taurox and proceed to punch way above his weight class by ordering REPEL THE ENEMY to allow your Ripper Guns to fire point blank into combat in the same turn the unit fights. TAKE AIM and GET BACK IN THE FIGHT are also effective orders and I did some math to show this is better than a priest. Why not just use a CC for this? Because you'll save 10 points.

Overall there just isn't a compelling reason to take PCs outside of edge cases or small format games where 10 points means something more (750pt list with 4 Russes). However we could see a points adjustment in the 2018 Chapter Approved that makes these a more compelling choice.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]