View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Bir Hakeim 13th DBLE 

here's is what I have so far, 99% WYSIWYG.

Supreme Command
3 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 Lord of War, 1 DT

Spearhead
1 HQ, 2 Elite, 2 FA, 3 HS, 1 DT

Battalion
2 HQ, 3 Troops, 6 Elite, 1 FA, 1 HS, 3 DT

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Like your color choice man, and always happy to see that many tanks in once place!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks, Mo. Fluff-wise, they're from a mostly arid planet so I wanted the more durable equipment like armor to fit that theme while the rest, clothing, drop tanks on the vehicles, is generic green from whatever depot resupplied them last.

And tanks are what got into the Guard. ;)

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:53 pm

I understand. Tanks are the best.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am

So, planet surface either chlorite or epidote heavy? Great idea with going away from the usuall arid = yellows approach <thumbs-up>

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Love the paint scheme Semp! You've got quite the army and I think you've convinced me that I need one of those tank destroyers too. Do you have any fluff written up for them?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Not written up, no. In my head, they're descended from an ancient Terran military body that was used on old Terra to fight in foreign wars (the French Foreign Legion). When they needed to be settled someplace, they were given what was deemed a mostly useless rock to live on. They named it Bir Hakeim after a military victory from their history that took place in similarly arid/unpleasant environs. There they have endured but not thrived due to the harsh conditions.

Their annual planetary tithe is small enough that it is often only a single regiment, in this case a combined arms unit called a half-brigade (one company each of command/support, infantry, engineers, and armor). Since their force is always so small, the use of combined arms hasn't been officially noticed by the powers that be due to the enormity of the Imperial Guard. Who cares about a few hundred guys, right? As a whole, they perform well enough under fire that the commissars assigned to them give them a pass on this since they are otherwise such dedicated servants of the Emperor.

Edit: The tank destroyer was a fun project. I just used a regular LRBT hull. For the main gun, I used the barrel that comes with the Stormlord and put a lascannon and spot light co-axial to it so I can play it as a Vanquisher. I dropped a flat sheet of plasticard over the turret ring, shaving off the edges a bit so it looked like maybe it had been welded, then added a cupula on top of that. I tried to keep the profile very low and tossed in a magnetized dozer blade purely for looks to suggest it could pull into the rear of a small building and use it as concealment for an ambush shot. That's also the reason why this is my only tank without a stubber on the roof. I also used land raider headlights. I've been very tempted lately to repaint it in old school British Berlin Brigade urban camo just for fun.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]