View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Generic all-comers for familarization purposes 

I have yet to play a game since 5th ed. My intent is to go by the local GGW this weekend and see if someone will play me a small-ish match so I can get my brain around how it all works before going any further with list development. With that in mind, I was thinking of taking the following, as much because it is a good representation of my larger army as anything else.

Company Cdr (chain sword, bolt pistol)
Lord Commissar (power sword, bolt pistol)
Tank Commander (LR Exterminator, 3x heavy bolters, stubber, smoke)

Infantry Squad (Sgt w/las pistol and chainsword, vox, grenade launcher, HB team)
Infantry Squad (Sgt w/las pistol and chainsword, vox, grenade launcher, HB team)
Infantry Squad (Sgt w/ las pistol and chain sword) This is my old penal squad so no extras but they're cheap.

Vet Infantry Squad (Sgt w/las pistol and chainsword, Hvy flamer, 2x melta gun, 6x shotguns)
dedicated Chimera (2x heavy flamer, stubber, lasgun array)

Scout Sentinel (las cannon, smoke)

LR Executioner (hull hvy flamer, plasma sponsons, stubber, smoke)
Heavy Sweapons Sqd (3x Autocannons)

It comes to 991 points right now. I don't expect to win but I don't want to be a push-over, either. I don't own any artillery.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm

You should maybe consider swapping the Exterminator and Executioner around, so the latter get BS3+ for being a tank commander. It would benefit more from it than the Exterminator.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Panzergraf has a very good point there. Executioner does a lot of damage, but it has problems with actually hitting.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll do that and report back. I'm used to my Exterminators being my heavy hitters before and haven't played with the new rules yet.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:50 pm

So I got to the store and a guy said he'd give e me a game. He asked how many power points I had (57). He said he'd do up a list for 60. I checked my list against the new coded and some of the costs had changed. I wound up adding another squad of vets on foot.

He had White Scars. A commander and chaplain on bikes, two squads of six on bikes, two attack bikes (the three wheelers), two speeders and a techmarine with some kind of cannon thing.

I just played generic Guard from the Index. We played one and a half rounds (he went first) before he gave up. I had taken most of the bikes, both attack bikes, one speeder and the commander. In that time I lost a squad, most of another, most of two vet squads and bald the Executioner. Does that seem right or did the dice gods just favor me heavily? If we had finished the store conditions round, I might have tabled him completely except for the techmarine hiding in the back.

He wants another game and was bragging about his anti-tank flyers. Should I try to acquire one of those anti-air tracks on the Chimera hull?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:48 am
Site Admin

I've watched and read lots of reports that seem to corroborate the fact that we are tabling a lot those times......

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 am

Aye, this seems about right for the current Guard.

Also, if he braggs about getting flyers, by all means, do enterntain him with Hydras. Incidentally, the quad gun from Aegis defence line set fits well in place of turrets. Just suggesting.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks. I play so rarely I figured it very unlikely that I beat him that hard on skill alone.

Good tip on the turrets. Any idea on a source or should I just troll eBay?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Short of scratchbuilding that might be your best bet.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 am
Site Admin

As it seems right now, Astra Militarum is the most all-comers army in the whole meta of 8th. For every kind of unit present in the game, there is an unit or a combo of units we carry that's ideally suited to take that out, and even when the ideal combo is not on the table, our core units when properly used are a pretty strong force, it just takes a lot more of brainpower to play this army and keep track of the sheer amount of things we have in the table and what we are doing with them.... Saw several games lately on Youtube and we tied, won or lost by very little most of them and in all of them the player running AM just forgot some unit for 2 or more turns.... I even saw a guy totally forget his Ratlings for 4 turns on a 7 turn game, he used them on the first and then totally forgot they where there until turn 5 ended, then used them on the last 2...

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next