View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
2k tournament list, using the new Codex 

+++ Panzergruppe von Pask (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [117 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [45 PL, 782pts] ++

Regiment: Cadian

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 39pts]: KUROV’S AQUILA, Plasma pistol, Power sword

Company Commander [2 PL, 31pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 67pts]
. 6x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Heavy Weapon Team: Missile launcher
. Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 67pts]
. 6x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Heavy Weapon Team: Missile launcher

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 53pts]
. 6x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
. Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

+ Elites +

Command Squad [2 PL, 48pts]
. Veteran: Lasgun
. Veteran: Lasgun
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [6 PL, 97pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Multi-laser

Chimera [6 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [6 PL, 101pts]
. Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [43 PL, 700pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

+ HQ +

Knight Commander Pask [13 PL, 226pts]: Heavy Stubber, Lascannon
. Command Vanquisher: Turret-mounted Vanquisher Battle Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 166pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Storm Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 154pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 154pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [29 PL, 518pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

+ HQ +

Tank Commander [12 PL, 216pts]: Heavy Stubber, Lascannon
. Command Vanquisher: Turret-mounted Vanquisher Battle Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Cyclops Demolition Vehicle [3 PL, 40pts]: Cyclops

Cyclops Demolition Vehicle [3 PL, 40pts]: Cyclops

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 78pts]
. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 42pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Gryphonne Pattern Chimera [5 PL, 102pts]: Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber

Created with Battlescribe.

Now, first off, I have no chance of winning the entire tourny. Because of work, I won't make it there until round 2, so round 1 will automatically get logged as a defeat.
I still hope to get a few wins in though.
The list is similar to the last list I posted, but this time using the new Codex so my tanks will be much more powerful. I picked the Cadian doctrine as it seems the most useful for all my units (and also, I wanted Pask). Part of me wanted to pick Armageddon, but that doctrine is mostly useless, sadly... With a battalion and two spearhead formations I should get +5 command points. One of my company commanders also has Kurov's Aquila, for an extra CP on a 5+ whenever my opponent uses a Strategem.
Dropped the Hydra from the last army list - if I run into flyers I hope the rest of my guns will be enough to swat them from the skies.
What I'm really excited about are my two Cyclopses, they seem like they could potentially be really powerful - or a total flop.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Let us know how it performs man, I haven't done anything with the new 'dex yet so your observations are killer.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:03 am

Results:

Game 1: I was absent because of work, logged as a draw.

Game 2, VS Tau:
My opponent was very young, his army consisted of two really big battle suit-things, three commanders with quad fusion guns, another two commanders with quad fusion guns, and a handful of fire warriors. All commanders were deployed in reserve.
I got first turn, killed one of the big suits, and damaged another.
On his first turn, he deep striked his group of three commanders on my left flank, I don't quite remember, but I think they killed a Chimera (empty). His other group of two commanders were still kept in reserve.
His remaining commanders came in later, but at that stage of the game I had wiped out most of his army, and even though he managed to kill Pask, he was pretty much done for.
Game was stopped after turn 3 (or4?) because of time restrictions.
Win for me, relatively light losses.

Game 2, VS Custodes:
I killed off some of his expensive units early on (a dreadnought-thing that exploded violently and a FW hover tank of some kind). My Cyclopses wiped out a full squad of silent sisters with flamers, a couple of custodes (they are TOUGH!), and the afore mentioned hover tank.
He won on points though, hogging some objectives all through the game and getting lucky with the tactical objectives draw. He got more kill points than me too, but mostly from killing some of my cheaper units.
Again the game timed out after turn 3 or 4.
Technical defeat.

Game 3, VS Tyranids:
Two flying hive tyrants, some big monsters that burrows, and some other nasties.
I used to hate playing tyranids before, as my really big expensive tank guns would, at best, only score one wound per shot. Not any more!
I killed off some big nasties early on, but his burrowing units (especially a really annoying lictor) kept my stuff locked in combat, unable to fire.
Cyclopses did OK this time - they're really handy in that you can detonate them so they hit enemy units that are in combat, albeit at the risk of nuking your own guys if you roll high on the explosion radius. They didn't kill anything by themselves, but caused enough wounds on enemy monsters to be worth it.
Again, my opponent got the most objectives and victory points, though he never killed any of my expensive units - just a couple of chimeras and some infantry.
Time out again after turn 3. Had we kept going I might have edged out a win.

Game 4, VS Mortarion and pals:
Mortarion and 3 knights. That's all he had. I seized the initiative and went first, obliterating one knight and wounding mortarion.
In return, he scored a mere two wounds on one Leman Russ, and one on another (with heavy stubbers in both cases).
Turn two, another Knight down, Mortarion lost a few wounds to a Cyclops before being felled by massed shooting. His third Knight was damaged too.
Turn three, his last knight was almost killed, left with only 4 wounds remaining.
He managed to charge it into an empty Chimera, but with reduced WS he failed to damage it.
My turn four, command squad disembarked from another Chimera, and hit the Knight with both melta guns, killing it.
Complete victory for me, in less than an hour. Losses: two Cyclopses.

Lessons learned:
-Cyclopses are utterly OP for their points cost.
-Chimeras are over priced for what they are.
-Leman Russes are good, especially as Cadians when you issue them the "Pound them to dust" tank order.
-I need something more mobile to cap objectives.
-I have to get better at remembering to use my command points, in all four games I ended up with most my CP's unspent.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 pm

Panzergraf wrote:
-I have to get better at remembering to use my command points, in all four games I ended up with most my CP's unspent.

With Guard I usually have a few CPs left at the game end. Now I wonder whether it's a matter of detachment composition (it's extremely easy to field cheap battalions), mechanics becoming Guard-friendly, or plain old stingyness with using a limited resource.

Anyway, congrats on solid results! <thumbs-up>

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 pm
Site Admin

We are all proud of your victories!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks guys!
I played another friendly game using the same army today. (but this time I remembered to bring the Hellhound, which I totally forgot I had in my list at the tournament!)
My opponent played Space Wolves, got the first turn and was on me with some guys deploying from a flyer transport on turn one. Well, the transport was on me, the Marines inside deployed on turn two - after all my shooting it was left with one wound.
Still, the most damage it did was crashing in the middle of my army, damaging a whole bunch of chimeras and killing a company commander.

My army is far from the most scary build you can make with the new codex. Chimeras are over priced, and Vanquishers are worse in every way than the regular Russ.
Still, I won by a very good margin. He gave up just as we went on to turn 5 - he had very little left to stop me from getting most of the objectives, and no chance of actually killing any more of my stuff.

Observation: the new AM 'dex is scary, even if you don't actually try to build an OP army.

Also, I played around with the Battle Scribe army builder, and found that if I replace all my Chimeras with Tauroxes, I have enough points left over for a Hydra and some other upgrades.
I don't think the difference between T6 and T7 is great enough to make Tauroxes that much more vulnerable than the Chimeras, and on top of being cheaper they're also faster and have slightly better firepower. The Blood Angels player with the Mastodon (battle rep in the battle rep forum) promised me a re-match, this time without the Mastodon. I'll ask if I can proxy Chimeras as Tauroxes.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]