View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
2000pts Steel Legion - Semi-Competitive (C&C Please) 

Getting back into 40k having not played regularly since 5th edition. My previous army was a drop-troops Imperial Guard force, but I'm a better painter now than I was then and I'd like to start an entirely new army from scratch. I've always liked the Steel Legion and wanted to do a mechanized force, so here's my best crack at a 2000 point list.

Some design notes:
I'd like the list to be strong and somewhat competitive, but I don't want to end up with something optimized for gaming at the expense of aesthetics or the overall character of the force. Here's my list of semi-arbitrary restrictions:

-No allies. I'd like to keep the list selected purely from the choices in Codex Astra Militarum. I'm more than cool with Psykers, Stormtroopers etc, I'm just not sure what the current meta is and don't want to have to take obligatory Grey Knight allies, even if I lose every game for failing to do so.

-No Steel Legion squads in Tauroxes. I understand that Chimeras are less points efficient than when I last played, but... come on, it's not Steel Legion without the Chimeras. I am okay with other units in Tauroxes, I just want the army to have at least 3 Chimera.

-I'm trying to keep the list as WYSIWYG as possible. This is difficult as Steel Legion lacks models for mortars, flamers, meltas, and autocannons. I'm willing to do some conversion, but I don't particularly want to convert 9 model models to carry flamers, for example.

-The exception to the above: missiles are at this really bad price point in the current edition where mortars have become really excellent. I have all these missile teams I'd like to paint, but I'd like to proxy them as mortars. Hear me out. Frag missiles and Mortars have the same weapons profile save that mortars can be fired indirectly and frag missiles cannot. In the real world, shoulder-mounted rocket tubes are fired indirectly all the time, arguably much more often than they're fired directly. While this indirect fire isn't nearly as accurate or sharply parabolic as mortar fire, it's close enough for Warhammer right? I'm also justifying this by the fact that the Steel Legion are primarily used to fighting Orks, who generlaly favor light vehicles to heavy tanks. Since missiles are heavy and you can only carry say half a dozen, I could see Steel Legion missile teams only bringing AP missiles as AT missiles would be too niche for them to justify sacrificing loadout space for.

My question to people who are more involved in the current 40k scene. Is this stretching it? I don't want to be a bad opponent or come across as some shitty powergamer. I just really want to use these models and not have to have a totally gimped list to do that. The concession is that this list will not use an missile launchers as missile launcher. Every launcher model in the list will be a mortar, so I won't be asking opponents to keep track of which missiles teams are which.

As for the actual list:

Using ARMAGEDDON regimental doctrines.

BRIGADE Detachment

HQ

-Company Commander 30pts
-Company Commander 30pts
-Primaris Psyker (Force Stave) 40pts

TROOPS

1st Platoon
-Infantry Squad (Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter) 55pts
2nd Platoon (Reservist)
-Infantry Squad (Grenade Launcher, Lascannon) 65pts

ELITES

- Veteran Squad (3x Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Sarge w/ Bolter) 108pts
+Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter, Sarge w/ Bolter) 93pts

- Veteran Squad (3x Plasma GUn, Heavy Bolter) 108pts
+Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter) 93pts

-Command Squad (Regimental Standard, Medic, 2x Grenade Launcher) 49pts
+Chimera (Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter) 95pts

-Command Squad (Regimental Standard, Medic, 2x Grenade Launcher) 49pts
+No Transport

FAST ATTACK

-3x Scout Sentinels (Multilaser) individuals, not squadded 135pts
-Hellhound Flame Tank (Inferno Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Track Guards, Storm Bolter) 113pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Leman Russ Demolisher (Demolisher Cannon, H. Bolter, Track Guards) - 180pts
-Leman Russ (Battle Cannon, H. Bolter) - 152pts
-Leman Russ (Battle Cannon, H. Bolter) - 152pts

SPEARHEAD DETACHMENT

HQ

-Company Commander - 30pts

ELITES

-Command Squad (Grenade Launcher, Vox, Lascannon Team) - 54pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Heavy Weapon Squad (3x Mortars) - 33pts
-Heavy Weapon Squad (3x Mortars) - 33pts
-Heavy Weapon Squad (3x H. Bolter) - 42pts

GRAND TOTAL: 1,961 points (13 command points)

My general battle plan: The scout sentinels use their extra move to move to the mid-board, try to stay out of LOS, and create 9" diameter deep strike denial zones. 1st platoon with one of the company commanders and command squads uses Move Move Move to advance towards whatever objective I decide to commit to. Demolisher, Hellhound, and 3x Chimeras with both vet squads, company commander, command platoon, and heavy bolter squad advance with them. Primaris Psyker is also riding along. 2nd platoon, the mortar squads, and the 3rd Company Commander stay in and around the deployment zone to provide lascannon/mortar support and to spread out a little bit to prevent deep strikers. Both stock leman russ quarterback from a little behind the main advance and target with battlecannons as appropriate. ARMAGEDDON doctrines give me 18" rapid fire range, and the Chimeras are there to help me withdraw and redeploy to maintain that range (plan to use a combination of ARMORED FIST strategem, as well as the MOUNT UP! special order for rapid backwards re-deployment)

So how'd I do? I have 39 points left to add Voxes, officer vanity upgrades, and maybe tank sponsons? Not sure where to put the voxes but I know I need some. I could potentially drop one of the command squads or add a special weapons squad somewhere in here? Could also try and squeeze a squad of Ratlings in at 35pts? Looking for whatever feedback I can get from the list gurus.

*Cross Posted from DakkaDakka

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:51 am

Looks rather solid under those constraints.

I would, however, consider swapping mortars for anything else - they're still the popguns they used to be, except without the pinning now. My favourite here would be missile launcher (it really shines because of it's versality), but that'd be extra 90 pts, so it's kinda steep. And would require actually getting those launchers.

Moving 2 heavy bolters from vets and getting 3rd HB for a single squad would cut the extra points needed down to 14, alternatively other squad could get heavy weapons from 1st platoon (they'll be more efficient that way if 1st is going to be running around).

This solution would leave You with 36 pts extra, but personally I'd suggest an extra company commander rather than voxes.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I hadn't considered pulling the Heavy Bolter teams from the vets, but in all honesty the squads really don't require them and it's an easy way to free up 16 points.

I do have to disagree about mortars though. An entire mortar squad comes in at a measly 33 points. Frag missiles and mortars have the same damage profile, save that mortars can be fired indirectly. Lascannons cost the same as missile launchers and are substantially superior to Missiles at anti-tank because most heavy armor is T8 in this edition. Missiles certainly are versatile, but for the same points as 2 missile squads (156 points) I can afford 2 mortar squads and a lascannon squad for 144 points. This is more bodies and I can hide the lascannons in among the cheaper mortar squads due to 8ed's ability to split fire. I like missiles and I hope they're re-costed in a future update, but for now they're just in an unhappy place.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 am

My game group has been stuck from time constraints for months so I can't offer any advice on this. I just came here to tell you I am jelly.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 am

It's a matter of preference, really - You prefer indirect ability, I prefer my heavies to be able to fire efficiently against any target despite the extra cost.

Also, this is the first edition am really including vehicles in my lists, so guess that makes me expect most (if not all) antitank work will be done by infantry anyway.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]